1. How is this different from other Iron removal media ?
Our Iron removal media is very effective compared to other iron removal media.
Birm® is an efficient and economical media for the reduction of dissolved iron and manganese compounds from raw water supplies. It may be used in either gravity fed or pressurized water treatment systems. Birm acts as an insoluble catalyst to enhance the reaction between dissolved oxygen (D.O.) and the iron compounds. In ground waters the dissolved iron is usually in the ferrous bicarbonate state due to the excess of free carbon dioxide and is not filterable. Birm, acting as a catalyst between the oxygen and the soluble iron compounds, enhances the oxidation reaction of Fe++ to Fe+++ and produces ferric hydroxide which precipitates and may be easily filtered. The physical characteristics of Birm provide an excellent filter media which is easily cleaned by backwashing to remove the precipitant. Birm is not consumed in the iron removal operation and therefore offers a tremendous economic advantage over many other iron removal methods.
2. What is the minimum volume we sell ?
The media comes in 1 Cu.Feet Bags which is 28.33 liters and we can supply a minimum of 5 bags.
Incase there is higher iron in the incoming water, we also include Iron removal filter along with the above.
3. Do we need any chemicals to maintain / regenerate the media ?
No. There is no regeneration required. Only back wash is required.
4. Will it work on very high levels of iron say 4 ppm ?
Yes, it work very well at high levels of iron as well, provided the DO (Dissolved oxygen) in the water has to be greater than 15% of iron content.
5. What are conditions to be followed while using the media? CONDITIONS FOR OPERATION
- Alkalinity should be greater than two times the combined sulfate and chloride concentration
- Maximum water temp: 100oF/38oC
- Water pH range: 6.8-9.0
- Dissolved Oxygen (D.O.) content must be equal to at least 15% of the iron (or iron and manganese) content
- Bed depth: 30-36 in
- Freeboard: 50% of bed